Medicare OEP is here!
When: Starts January 1st through March 31st, 2021
What can I do? You have the opportunity to change your coverage if you are enrolled in a Medicare Advantage Plan. You can drop your current plan and enroll in another Medicare Advantage Plan with drug coverage or without drug coverage. You can go back to Original Medicare and purchase a stand-alone drug plan. You can only do this once.
🛑YOU CANNOT ENROLL IF:🛑 you are enrolled in Original Medicare with a stand-alone drug plan. You will have to wait until the next AEP unless you have a Special Election Period (SEP).
What is a Special Election Period (SEP)? This is a period that allows you to make changes to your plan outside of AEP if any of the following events have occurred. This is not every SEP reason but it does cover most of them.
1. You change where you live. You moved to a new address out of your plan's service area or still in my plan's service area where I have new options. I moved back to the United States after living in another country. I just moved into, live in or moved out of a institution like a skilled nursing facility or long-term care hospital. I was just released from jail or prison.
2. You lose your current coverage. You are no longer eligible for Medicaid, left my employer coverage, or involuntarily lost my creditable drug coverage.
3. You have a chance to get other coverage offered by my employer, Tricare, VA or enrolling in a PACE program.
4. Your plan changes its contract with Medicare. Medicare sanctioned your plan, Medicare terminated my plan's contract, drug plan or Medicare Cost Plans contract is not renewed.
5. Other special situations. I am getting Medicaid and qualify for Extra Help paying for my drug plan. (This creates a SEP for the first 9 months of the year, only one change per quarter). I'm enrolled in a State Pharmaceutical Assistance Program (SPAP) or I lost eligibility. I qualify for a Medicare Chronic Care Special Needs Plan (SNP). I lost my Special Needs Plan because I no longer have a qualifying condition. I was not made aware that I was joining a drug plan that was not credible coverage.
Every situation is different. If you have any questions about your eligibility to change your plan, please just let me know. You can send me a message through the website or live chat.